Sunday, April 24, 2016

Participatory Culture in a Networked Era: Chapters 6 & 7

CHAPTER 6

This chapter talks about people developing a political sense of agency and a "civic imagination." Jenkins tells about his own time of discovery in the 70s when he was a Trekkie.  The changes he wanted to see in the world were in part reflected on the show through its diverse crew. Star Trek fans advocated for further change, such as a LGBT crew member. Jenkins says he "forged my political identity and articulated my ideals for what a better society might look like" (154). Fiske later wrote about pop-culture influencing one's political identity.

The idea of participatory politics is interesting. Peer based and influencing public issues. Isn't all politics like that? I guess participatory just means that it is more inclusive, or that it involves connectedness through technology. YPP thinks young people engage in politics not just because of family, school, or mentors; they engage because of informal learning communities, including fandom or gaming. Example: My daughter got drawn in because of boys on social media. She doesn't care at all yet about politics, but wants to know the players and particulars so she can be participate in the conversation with her social group via group text. I guess it's a start.

When I read the words "different kinds of communit[ies] have used new media platforms and participatory culture practices to recruit, train, and support young activists" I immediately thought of the ISIS videos I saw. I know that's not what Jenkins meant to conjure up for his readers.

Ito is positive and realistic. I always like her sections. She says, "We really need everyday folk to step up and take on responsibilities in public life, whether it is by blogging, organizing, or funding. Its so important that youth develop the capacity for engaging in these ways" (159).

boyd talks about the student walkout in California and ends by saying they were dismissed and ignored. I remember watching that walkout on TV and reading about it in the news. I bet there are plenty of political movements that would LOVE being "ignored" that way, with robust national media coverage. I have trouble following boyd's logic.

Jenkins continues to talk about DREAM. He says "The Obama administration was trying to seem tough on immigration, and it actually deported more people in its fist term than the Bush administration did in eight years" (160). I'll need to triangulate that when I have a moment. Ultimately, Obama changed his policies, and the Latinx (Jenkins uses the term "Latino") vote was mostly for Obama. Not sure if he changed his policy because of DREAM or if his advisors informed him that Hispanics are often swing voters. Not sure how I feel yet about the term Latinx.

Civic engagement coming from "affinity networks." I think that's always been the case, but it's easier now with technology and social media and connectivity. I agree with Jenkins about student council. It's just a popularity contest, and the office usually has notumph behind it. A WoW guild leader probably does have more power.

Ito talks about transferability of skills. That is an issue dear to me, and I try to find ways in the classroom to ensure that students understand the skills they learn can transfer to other situations and can understand in what context they could be useful again.


Jenkins told the story of the rides at Harry Potter World that didn't accommodate all sizes of kids, basically because some kids were too big. I understand how humiliating that must have been for those kids. Not sure the answer is as easy as getting Disney to change the ride. The issues include public health and political pacs, and large corporations and FDA regulations. Making Disney fix a ride doesn't fix the problem. All those obese kids will be humiliated again elsewhere, and then die of preventable diseases. It is a tragedy way beyond a Disney ride.

Ito talked about ravelry.com. I love that site; it's a great community.

boyd and I agreed on something on page 172. She and I both like the Dove "Evolution" commercial. I show it in my HUM 101 class, because the theme is advertising and consumerism. Students love this, and usually only 0-1 in 27 have ever seen it. It's just 1 minute long. Students often go home and share this short video with others once they've seen it. Political?

Jenkins ends the chapter by asking us to recognize some of youth's cultural change as political change.

CHAPTER 7

This short summary chapter, written as a collaboration, discusses the authors' core values in participatory culture. They also discuss their political biases (in case we didn't notice?) and concede that politics and participation is happening on both sides of the political fence. They say participatory culture isn't about the technology, but rather about the shared practices of users. In the "Relation to Capital" section, I kept thinking of the book "Feed" by M. T. Anderson. I wonder if they've read it. They end by hoping their book will inspire conversation, debate, collaboration, and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment